Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider the following:

• そいつはひどく鼻持ちならないやつで、私をすっかりうんざりさせる。(That guy is so obnoxious that he really turns me off.)

• あなたをうんざりさせるものは何ですか?(What turns you off?)

• 痛み以上に私をうんざりさせるものはない。(Nothing turns me off more than pain.)

• 自分の悩み事で人をうんざりさせてはいけないよ。(Don't bore people with your problems.)

• 非常にうんざりさせる人 (thundering bore)

• うんざりさせられる状況 (irksome situation)

• うんざりさせられる試験 (boring exam)

• あの子にはうんざりする。(The kid is a pain in the neck)

This may be due to a lack of adequate understanding of Japanese grammar, but I'm a bit confused as to how a number of different formations are used with this word to mean the same thing.

うんざりさせられる状況

a situation that makes me bored/turned off

あの状況にはうんざりさせられる  (is this correct?)

That situation turned me off/irked me.

Could I also say

あの状況にはうんざりする

or

あの状況にはうんざりさせる ?

I apologize if this question is too broad.

share|improve this question
Hi yadokari. I can't help but notice your 0% accept rate for answers. I'm not sure if you feel that all the answers to your previous questions were unsatisfactory, but if you do that's okay. Just so you know, you can choose an accepted answer for your questions by clicking the tick next to the answer. –  Flaw Sep 25 '11 at 22:23

OK still new here so I didn't know that. thanks. –  yadokari Sep 25 '11 at 23:07

1 Answer 1

あの状況にはうんざりする

Yes it sounds correct.

あの状況にはうんざりさせる ?

No, because it literally sounds like YOU are feeding up something (it should be you who are fed up). "させる" is let someone do something, generally.

So you can say instead

あの状況にはうんざりさせられる

as you mentioned.

share|improve this answer

ありがとう。would this be incorrect? あの状況は私をうんざりさせる。 –  yadokari Feb 3 '12 at 14:40

No it's OK. It makes sense. –  Nobu Feb 15 '12 at 14:18

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.