Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm currently trying to plug my way through a Japanese article about end-of-life care for the elderly. So far I'm getting the jist, but one compound has stumped me. Here's the full sentence:

回答者を看取り介護了承群、迷い群、未了承群の3群に分け、入居者の「認知力」、「活動力」、施設の「介護力」、家族の「生き方」と「死への向きあい方」について比較した結果、了承群>迷い群>未了承群の順で入居者の認知力は低く、施設の介護力への評価が高かった。

The sentence is talking about the results of a self-administered questionnaire, but yeah...I have no idea about the compound, and google searches are just leading me to Chinese webpages, which aren't helpful. I've tried breaking down each character, so far I have that 了 means "complete" and 群 "group" but I'm not sure if this is accurate, and obviously when compounds are put together the meaning can shift a bit.

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

The issue here is not 了承群. The clue is just after that part: の3群に分け. Now re-read the beginning and attempt to make sense of it.

The respondents/"answerers"/survey participants split into three 群 (crowds/groups): (the group of) those that consent to giving care, (the group of) those that were lost on it, and (the group of) those who had yet to give consent...

So the 群 is just a suffix to represent each of the 3 groups. It's not inherently part of the term 了承 (which is itself not inherently a health related term). I would assume a pronunciation of 「ぐん」 for it; someone can correct me if it would actually be 「むれ」.

share|improve this answer

Thanks for your reply, that completely makes sense to me now. – Leila Mar 8 at 0:05
+1 The pronunciation is definitely ぐん. – Yosh Mar 8 at 3:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.