Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It seems that there are around 14-17K Google results on each of "雨を降って" and "雪を降って" keywords. Is 降る yet another intransitive verb that are used with を? Does it mean something like "rain on me" and "snow on me", or is it simply typo?

Some sample usages taken from Google results:

• 今夜雨を降っている
  • 雨を降っても傘ささないのが仇となった
  • 沢山の雪を降っているの画像

N.B. I don't think either "through" or "leaving something behind" interpretations can work with "を降る".

share|improve this question
With respect to your 雨を降って link, the first one is written by a Chinese, the second one by some student from abroad, and the third one by a Chinese, the fourth looks like an overlooked computer translation error. I didn't feel like looking any further. In all of them, it is not just the sentence you mentioned that is wrong. The whole paragraphs are broken Japanese. You should be careful about the quality of your source. –  sawa Sep 24 '11 at 17:53

@sawa Oops, sorry. I guess I should have looked deeper into the results. >____< –  Lukman Sep 26 '11 at 8:08
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a typo and based on inaccurate Google results –  ssb Apr 15 at 4:52
add comment

closed as off-topic by Szymon, ssb, Dono, Earthliŋ, senshin Apr 15 at 20:21

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – Szymon, senshin
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I would say it's a typo, but 17K Google results is hard to compete against. It may be incorrect grammar that gets "accepted" as correct and becomes incorporated into the language. Correct grammar would be:

• 雨は・が降る → "It's raining" or
  • 雨を降らす → "Make it rain" (if someone/thing could cause rain -- like God, a spirit, character in a story, etc.)
share|improve this answer
Allow me to help with those 17k results: "雪を降って", 104 results; "雨を降って", 170 results. (May look slightly different for you??) Google result counts are a meaningless metric. I wish Google would warn more prominently about this on the results page; it's a common misconception. –  Hyperworm Sep 24 '11 at 18:54
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.