Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When we say "birds singing", there is a positive connotation.

When we say "birds crowing", there is a negative connotation.

"The birds are making some sound" seems to be objective, and thus neutral.

I was wondering is it true that 鳴く is absolutely neutral?

In other words, would the sentence 「小鳥が鳴いてる。」 have a positive connotation, negative connotation, or is it an absolutely neutral sentence?

share|improve this question

I guess that's where adverbs come into play. i.e. うるさく鳴く、 優しく響く鳴き. I'm not sure if 鳴く has any inherent connotations. –  Flaw Sep 23 '11 at 2:48
I don't really get much of a negative sense from "crowing". "Squawking", on the other hand . . . –  rdb Sep 23 '11 at 3:14

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think it is neutral; it just implies the subject is a bird, an insect, or some other kind of animal. For positive connotation, there is a verb さえずる 'chirp'. For bad connotation, there is a verb (not limited to bird but can be used more generally) さわぐ 'make noise'.

share|improve this answer
鳴く doesn't seem to limit the set to just birds, but it's using the radical for bird which is "鳥". JMDICT also includes "to bark", "to purr", and "to make sound (animal)" for 鳴く's entry. Perhaps non-birds use 啼く instead? (This showed up alongside 鳴く in the same entry) –  Flaw Sep 23 '11 at 2:53
@Flaw That is true. 鳴く can be used more widely. Probably same for 啼く as well. I will fix my answer. This site may be useful: dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/thsrs/13500/m0u. –  user458 Sep 23 '11 at 3:00
But do they ever say 「鳥が歌っている」 for the figurative "birds singing"? –  istrasci Sep 23 '11 at 17:08

@istrasci That is possible, but it is not a normal description. It is personification, or metaphoric expression. –  user458 Sep 23 '11 at 17:32

Hey guys thanks for the help =D btw if 鳴く can be used for everything, and 啼く can also be used for everything, what's the difference between them? –  Pacerier Sep 23 '11 at 23:34

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.