Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

たばこは体に悪いとわかってはいるものの、なかなかやめられない。

If it's は, does omitting は change the meaning in verb-te~はいる? And also, could you talk about what いる is doing?

If it's はいる, in what sense would you describe はいる's usage?

Also, as I googled for more examples, I noticed there was a general pattern of てはいる[が・けど・ものの]、... Is there something to this?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

It's the 助詞 "は". I'll leave it to the linguists for a technical description, but the practical effect is to emphasize the verb. "Although I do know cigarettes are bad for my body, I pretty much can't quit."

share|improve this answer
This は is contrastive topic. 'As for understanding that cigarettes are bad for health, I do understand, but (for practicing that), I cannot quit it.' –  sawa Sep 22 '11 at 5:35

@sawa - Thanks, sawa. I don't quite understand what you mean by "(for practicing that)". Could you put it in different words? Also, is there a grammatical term in Japanese for "contrastive topic は"? –  rdb Sep 22 '11 at 6:22

Will 'putting it to practice' be understandable? I am not sure how 'contrastive topic' will be translated to Japanese, but a straightforward one will be '対比的主題'. –  sawa Sep 22 '11 at 6:31

@sawa - Thanks, I see what you mean now. The phrase would be "putting it in(to) practice". It's idiomatic. BTW, I noticed that you're in Connecticut; you wouldn't happen to be in New Haven would you? I lived there for several years. –  rdb Sep 22 '11 at 7:02

I see. I am not in New Haven. The weather is extreme here. –  sawa Sep 22 '11 at 8:17
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.