Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for a large comprehensive list of phrases that are commonly used by the Japanese, anyone know of some resources for that?

I've seen the list on here but most of them aren't exactly what I need, are there any other sources?

share|improve this question

How are the nii.ac sources not exactly what you're looking for? –  jkerian Sep 21 '11 at 18:54

@jkerian most of those are simply experiments testing different aspects of speech, the people in the experiments are made to read long passages or specific words. In one case there are passages about how to talk with a car dealer. Sure there are a few here and there that are useful, but from the summary it seems they are very few in numbers. I'm looking for a large list, not experiments on speech in loud environments or how different dialects sound. –  mugetsu Sep 21 '11 at 19:09

note that I have no use for large passages of conversation or story, the JLPT study guide has the kind of list I'm looking for but unfortunately few in numbers –  mugetsu Sep 21 '11 at 19:12
If you are after a list of phrases, then corpora are specifically not what you are after. A corpus is by definition a collection of actually occurring language, used by linguists to find patterns, test hypotheses, etc. (E.g. you might think that verb X is mostly used in form Y, but then you check the corpus and find that Y is actually relatively uncommon and Z is preferred.) Corpora are full of repetition, dialect, mistakes, etc. Enno Shioji's suggestion might help you extract a cleanly formatted list of phrases from one, but it seems more trouble than it'd be worth. –  Matt Sep 22 '11 at 0:07
This is off-topic for the main site but would be okay on meta. From the amount of conversation it has generated it may be better still on chat. –  ジョン May 9 '12 at 17:32
show 10 more comments

closed as off topic by istrasci, ジョン, atlantiza, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams, Miguel May 10 '12 at 2:07

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.