Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

幼いときに老けて、老いて子供に戻る。 I can make a few guesses as to the specific meaning but I'm not sure which one is right.. does anyone know what would be the most correct translation of this sentence?

share|improve this question
What are your guesses? –  Lukman Sep 20 '11 at 17:03

Translated very loose, so as to preserve what I am perceiving as the proverb feel: "As children we grow old, when old we become children again." or "Children grow old as the old return to childhood" –  yadokari Sep 20 '11 at 22:26
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 0 down vote accepted

You hear 老いて子供に戻る a lot, but I haven't heard 幼いときに老けて. Google seems to agree with me, so I'm assuming it's not a proverb or something.

The phrase 幼いときに老けて is rather peculiar because 老ける means "become an old man / behave like a old man" and has a negative nuance. So it's not the same as "grow old"; if you are 幼い and do 老ける, then that's very unusual. It's like an oxymoron, but I don't "get" what is meant here. Perhaps with more context it would make sense, but frankly my guess is that whoever wrote this phrase didn't fully understand the nuance of 老ける.

share|improve this answer

Disagreed completely. The wording 幼い時に老ける may surely be uncommon but I think the author understands the word 老ける. The sentence makes perfect sense as well. –  Tokyo Nagoya Feb 25 at 15:12

@TokyoNagoya If you can make perfect sense of the sentence, you should prob. write an answer... –  Enno Shioji Feb 25 at 15:47
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.