Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

are 「なんとかなる」 and 「だいじょうぶ」the same?

大丈夫か?
なんとかなるか?

大丈夫よ。
何とかなるよ。

大丈夫さ。
なんとかなるさ。

だいじょうぶだった。
なんとかなった。

大丈夫じゃない/だいじょうぶじゃなかった。
なんとかならない/なんとかならなかった。

thanks
sorry if someone already asked it, but i couldn't find.
よろしく

share|improve this question

You can be able to manage even if you're not okay right now... –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Sep 20 '11 at 2:33
大丈夫 = I'm OK, really. なんとかなる = I'll manage, somehow or another. –  Lukman Sep 20 '11 at 2:39

can I say "大丈夫じゃないけど、なんとかなるよ。"? (It's not ok, but i'll manage it somehow) –  daniel tomio Nov 17 '11 at 1:50
add comment

1 Answer 1

"なんとか" means "somehow" so "なんとかなる" literally means "it will become (good) somehow". When you use "なんとかなる", you are not 100% sure about whether you will be okay or not. There is a hint that you are somehow relying on the nature to take its course; "Que sera, sera"; whatever will be, will be. Adding "か?", "よ" or "さ" just changes the statement into a question, an exclamation, an advice or the like; it does not change the level of your confidence in the statement much.

"大丈夫" on the other hand is a strong affirmation that everything is okay. Although it is a set-phrase, we can see how strong an affirmation it is from the literal meaning of its components - 大 means "big" while 丈夫 means "strong and durable". It is no where as wishy-washy as "なんとか". When you use "大丈夫", you mean it.

However, it's worth nothing that both of them sometimes are used together in the form of "大丈夫だよ。なんとかなる。". Rather than looking at it as self-contracting, I would say that it is a pattern of conversation, where you give your assurance first and then give a hint to the other person that you might not want to take the full responsibility of whether he will really be okay or not later, for when you don't want to say "It's okay, I myself will make sure you will be okay".

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.