Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Hi all I was wondering if we want to treat a quoted phrase as a "noun", is it necessary to put a と particle behind the quoted phrase?

For example:

A) The "received" in "received from Tom"

1. 「トムから頂きます」の「頂きます」, or

2. 「トムから頂きます」との「頂きます」 ?

B) The "tadaki" in "itadakimasu"

1. 「いただきます」の「ただき」, or

2. 「いただきます」との「ただき」 ?

Basically I was trying also just to figure out how should we know whether or not to put a と particle after a quote?

share|improve this question
I'm a little confused with your examples... But if I'm understanding correctly, I think you are mistaking the idea of quoting something using と, with "using a quote sign". You obviously do not have to use と every single time there is a quote sign. You use と to mark indirect (and therefore quoted) speech. "The 'kan' from 'kanji'" is simply 漢字のかん etc. –  Dave Sep 19 '11 at 1:30

@Dave yea you are you right, I was mistaking it. –  Pacerier Sep 19 '11 at 2:20

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

is used to introduce a subordinate clause, and is close to the English that. When to omit them with quotations seems to differ between the two languages. I cannot give you an explanation, but let me just illustrate.

• Complement of quotation verbs

He said that he likes apples.
     He said he likes apples.
    × He said that "I like apples".
     He said "I like apples".

彼は、自分がりんごが好きだと言った。
    × 彼は、自分がりんごが好きだ言った。[In Tokyo dialect]
     彼は、「私はりんごが好きだ」と言った。
    × 彼は、「私はりんごが好きだ」言った。[In Tokyo dialect]

• Complement of nouns

the fact that he likes apples
     the fact he likes apples
    × the fact that "he likes apples"
    × the fact "he likes apples"

彼がりんごが好きとのこと
    × 彼がりんごが好きのこと
     彼がりんごが好きこと
    × 「彼はりんごが好き」とのこと
    × 「彼はりんごが好き」なこと
    × 「彼はりんごが好き」のこと

• As a noun

× the word "he" in that "he likes apples"
     the word "he" in "he likes apples"

× 「彼はりんごが好き」との「彼」
     「彼はりんごが好き」の「彼」

share|improve this answer

Btw what does the asterisk mean in the sentence: 彼がりんごが好き*な*こと ? –  Pacerier Sep 19 '11 at 2:17

That's due to a bug. I wanted it to be in bold to make it stand out since this is somehing you don't expect from other parts of the paradigm. –  user458 Sep 19 '11 at 2:18

Oic, btw just to confirm, is it that 「いただきます」の「た」と「き」 means "The 'ta' and 'ki' in 'itadakimasu'." ? –  Pacerier Sep 19 '11 at 2:27

@Pacerier Yes it does. –  user458 Sep 19 '11 at 2:28

ok cool =D just a quick last question, what about if we were to remove the 「 and 」, e.g. 漢字の漢 –  Pacerier Sep 19 '11 at 2:31

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.