Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider the following:

[1] 僕は日本人ではなく, シンガポール人です。 (I'm not Japanese, I'm Singaporean)

[2] 僕は日本人ではないが, シンガポール人です。 (I'm not Japanese but Singaporean)

Comparing my sentences to the worked examples in my grammar practice workbook, [1] would be correct while [2] would be wrong.

(Question) Is [2] a valid sentence?

(Side Question) Can I read ではなく as じゃなく?

share|improve this question

僕は日本人ではないが, シンガポール人です and “I'm not Japanese but Singaporean” mean different things. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 18 '11 at 17:48

@TsuyoshiIto How different are they? Are you mentioning the scope of negation? –  sawa Sep 18 '11 at 18:44

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Your textbook is wrong in saying that [2] is wrong. Whenever P and Q work in the opposite direction towards expectation of R, P ではないが Q is okay. For example, it is fine in the following context:

A: だれか、アジア人はいませんか。
 'Is there any Asian?'
B: 僕は日本人です。
 'I am a Japanese.'
C: 僕は日本人ではないが, シンガポール人です。
 'I am not a Japanese, but am a Singaporean.'

In this context, 僕は日本人ではない closes up one possibility of C being an Asian, but then, シンガポール人です opens up another possibility, working towards the expectation of, and in fact affirming, C being an Asian.

Usually, you read as it is written. If you want じゃなく, you will usually write so. But it is not that wrong to read ではなく as じゃなく. It is wrong/correct to the extent that reading English cannot as can't is.

Actually, even when P and Q do not work in the opposite direction, you can use PがQ as long as P is providing a new topic into the discourse.

彼は試験に受かったが、これは普段からの努力の賜物だ。
'He passed the examination, and that is due to his consistent effort.'

share|improve this answer

~ないで、~ではなく、~ないですから、~ないので are the same meaning. what are most of priority? –  ZarNge Sep 19 '11 at 7:46
@ZarNge perhaps a new question? I think the comments section is not big enough to explain the differences in the above 4 you mentioned. –  Flaw Sep 20 '11 at 12:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.