Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was told how an older non-native lady would say "it's okay!" and that it was perceived to be just like that person and cute many because it was grammatically incorrect. She would say, いいだよ

Now I didn't know that rule but I was sure I had heard いいだよ before. It is such a simple statement but even these things trip me up.

So I'm guessing the rule is like

だ after な-adjectives, nouns
No だ after い-adjectives 

Can I get something definitive on this please? What about adverbs?

share|improve this question
Are you sure it's wasn't いいんだよ and you just couldn't hear the ん clearly? –  istrasci Sep 15 '11 at 16:42

I don't understand what you mean. いい is an い-adjective, so you expect no だ according to your rule, but you are citing an example that has だ. –  sawa Sep 15 '11 at 17:10

@istrasci That might be one possibility, but the OP might be referring to the kind of speech used by a fictional old lady character acted by 志村けん。 –  sawa Sep 15 '11 at 17:12

The old lady is a lady I know. The example I cited was from what I thought I heard, and as istrasci asked, I might not have heard it correctly and just stored that in my brain rule book incorrectly. As for the cultural reference, I don't know about 志村けん. The point of the question was to nail down the rule. –  Gerard Sexton Sep 16 '11 at 9:20

@istrasci please add your suggestion as an answer so i can mark it. –  Gerard Sexton Sep 28 '11 at 13:22
show 1 more comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Are you sure it's wasn't いいんだよ and you just couldn't hear the ん clearly?

share|improve this answer

... Haha, OK. I appreciate receiving the answer, but feel like this simple response doesn't warrant it. –  istrasci Sep 29 '11 at 15:34
add comment

There are regions where "いいだよ" gets said (http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis/1775/mikawa.html), but it's not standard 標準語 Japanese. With adverbs, it probably depends. I don't think you could say "すぐにだ”, but "ときどきだ" sounds OK.

share|improve this answer

"standard 標準語 Japanese" = redundant. Just sayin'. –  istrasci Sep 15 '11 at 18:06
そうだ。だって、いいだよ。(笑) –  rdb Sep 15 '11 at 18:49
I heard "いいだ" a lot in Akita prefecture. –  Axioplase Sep 16 '11 at 0:18
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.