Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.
  1. 「彼は映画スターであり、政治家もだ。」 means "He is a movie star, and a politician is a movie star, too" (from Tsuyoshi's comment below this other post)

2. 「彼は映画スターであり、政治家でもある。」 means "He is a movie star and also a politician." (Source)

If we were to replace だ with である in (1), we have: 「彼は映画スターであり、政治家もである」. Sawa suggests that で has to be attached to a noun for a sentence to be grammatical, so after swapping the positions of も and で, we have: 「彼は映画スターであり、政治家でもある」.

What I cannot understand is why does replacing だ to である (and applying the necessary で and も swap) changes the meaning of the sentence?

share|improve this question

The も・で swap isn't ‘necessary’. Rather もで and でも mean different things, but もで is considered ungrammatical (for some reason), so you only see でも. –  Zhen Lin Sep 15 '11 at 11:22
@Zhen: Both もだ and もである are grammatical, and have the same meaning, just like だ and である. (でもある has a different meaning, as you stated.) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 15 '11 at 12:10

@Tsuyoshi: Yeah, but もで on its own just feels very strange to me. もである is perhaps better analysed as も plus である taken as a verb, and so the て-form of that construction ought to be もで... but it just sounds weird. –  Zhen Lin Sep 15 '11 at 12:55
@Zhen: I do not find もで strange, and I am not sure why you do. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 15 '11 at 13:27

Hey guys thanks for all the help, I'd finally got it =D –  Pacerier Sep 16 '11 at 1:29

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

You are misunderstanding where the difference is.

彼は映画スターであり、政治家もだ。

There are two は in this sentence: 彼は and 政治家は, but the latter is hidden behind も. You thus have the following: 彼は映画スターである and 政治家も映画スターである。

彼は映画スターであり、政治家でもある

There is only one は in this sentence: 彼は, but there are two "である", the latter being augmented with a も. You thus have the following: 彼は映画スターである and 彼は政治家で(も)ある。.

To sum up: もである is different from でもある. It's not the だ/である that makes the difference.

share|improve this answer
Thanks wonderful explanation ! –  Pacerier Sep 16 '11 at 1:29

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.