Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I finally started going through some JLPT N1 grammar the other day, and one of the ones I'm looking at has me a bit confused: the ~にあって・~にあっても form. The book describes its usage as such:

~のような特別の状況・時期・場所だからこそあることが起こる

The 時期 and 場所 parts I can understand, but my problem is with the 状況 side of things. The problem this arose on was this:

木村氏は(  )にあって、日々多忙なスケジュールをこなしている。

The choices(the ones that make sense, that is) are:

1 一国の指導者

2 一国の指導者という立場

The answer is #2 - can anyone explain to me why? It seems like the first one is describing a 状況, but apparently not - at least, not more than 立場 does. Or is that 立場 referring to a place?

EDIT - Since 立場 is the right answer, can someone say why 一国の指導者 is not actually a 特別な状況? Also, why does 立場 fall into the proper category?

share|improve this question

Your reasoning seems to support the right answer. 指導者 is not a 状況, 時期, 場所, but 立場 is. Then, that should lead you to answer 2. What is wrong with it? –  sawa Sep 13 '11 at 15:23

Well, I didn't think 立場 was any of them. I was thinking of 国の指導者 as a 特別な状況 - perhaps I should ask why it isn't. –  Andrew Prowse Sep 13 '11 at 15:50
指導者 is an occupation or a property of a person; it is not a situation. 立場 means situation (within a sociological context). –  sawa Sep 13 '11 at 15:54

Are both correct, but the second one better? Because in "Frenglish", I'd definitely call "指導者" a "situation". –  Axioplase Sep 14 '11 at 2:58
I think that the confusion lies in how strictly to interpret the "must be a situation/time/place" rule. "指導者の立場" qualifies (you can conceive of someone "being there", using the metaphor of physical place), but "指導者" does not (you cannot "be there"; you can only "be one"). Similarly, "being The Situation" is a situation, but The Situation himself is not a situation. I hope this is all quite clear now. –  Matt Sep 14 '11 at 3:21
add comment

1 Answer

To be clear, answer 1 is grammatically incorrect, not just inferior.

It might be easier to grasp if you think of a 状況 here as something you find yourself “in”, rather than something you “are”. The difference is being in the position of a leader, instead of being the leader.

Note that the problem here has nothing to do with this special definition/usage of ~にあって・~にあっても. The distinction is simply between 〜にある and 〜である.

彼は指導者である — He is the leader

彼は指導者という立場にある — He is in the position of a leader

〜という状況 (situation) and 〜という役目 (role) are also fine, because you are in a situation, in a role, etc.

Accordingly, the following sentence is grammatically correct, and means exactly the same thing:

木村氏は一国の指導者 あって、日々多忙なスケジュールをこなしている。

share|improve this answer

Although ある is possible for people as well, I personally prefer いる. For this particular expression, I also found both googling. But is this somehow a special case where にある for people is more common than usually? –  dainichi Feb 28 '12 at 10:50
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.