Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does Japanese have a commonly used term for submarine sandwich/roll?

Australian English doesn't have a term AFAIK (the only places that sell such things in Australia are the Subway franchise), and I was wondering if the same was true for Japanese.

I couldn't spot it in jisho.org and the English edition of Wikipedia's article on submarine sandwiches didn't have a Japanese inter-language link. I came across "サブマリーンサンドイッチ" on Weblio but I don't know how authentic it is.

share|improve this question
I think サブマリン is the usual transcription of submarine, not サブマリーン. Corpus results suggest the former is more than 100x more common. – snailplane Feb 14 at 0:54
up vote 6 down vote accepted

If you shouted 「サブマリンサンドイッチ」 in my neighborhood, no one except me and perhaps another person would know what you were saying. That word would not be in the vocabulary of over 5% of our population. (The 「サンドイッチ」 part, I asure you, would be understood by virtually 100% of us.)

If you want to talk about a submarine sandwich, you would probably have to describe it like:

「[大]{おお}きいアメリカンタイプのサンドイッチ」

「大きくて[長]{なが}いサンドイッチ」

「サブウェイで[売]{う}ってるような(長い)サンドイッチ」

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.