Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

日本で英語を教えたい。彼も教えたい。

I want to teach English in Japan. He also wants to teach.

But if I were referring to myself in both sentences and talking about two different activities that I want to do:

日本で英語を教えたい。(1) 私も書道を勉強したい。(2) 書道をも勉強したい。

I want to teach English in Japan. I also want to learn calligraphy.

I'm not sure if (1) is the right way to go because it's like saying, "Me too" but I'm not referring to anyone else in the previous sentence. Is (2) grammatically correct? What's the correct way to write the second sentence?

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

You can say:

日本で英語を教えたい。書道勉強したい。

which literally means "I want to teach English in Japan. I want to do the study of calligraphy, too."

You could also say:

日本で英語を教えたい。書道勉強したい。or 書道[習]{なら}いたい。

where も is replacing を. (書道をも is grammatically correct but sounds literary and maybe a bit archaic.)

You're right that (1) 私書道を勉強したい is like saying "Someone's learning calligraphy and I want to do that, too."

share|improve this answer

Thanks, choco! Your explanation really helps. :-) – BJ Peter DeLaCruz Feb 4 at 6:46

'Literary' > 'literally', n'est-ce pas? – l'électeur Feb 4 at 6:54

@l'électeur うわ間違えた。フランス語わからんってば。ドイツ語でいうて! – chocolate Feb 4 at 7:01
独語て・・昭和っぽい人やな。今、独語やる人少ないねん。間違いが直ったから+1や。がんばりや! – l'électeur Feb 4 at 7:17

The first and second examples have subtly different meaning, no? The former is what you said; the latter implies there are other (as yet unmentioned, inasmuch as teaching is separate from studying) things the speaker would like to study, calligraphy being one of them. – MichaelChirico Feb 4 at 13:21

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.