Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

祖父はシベリアからの引き揚げを経験した口だ。My grandfather was one of the people who were repatriated from Siberia.

I couldn't find any dictionary entries that would fit 口 in this context. What does it mean here exactly?

share|improve this question

Here's one jisho.org/search/%E5%8F%A3, entry 10 – dainichi Jan 29 at 9:20
up vote 10 down vote accepted

「[口]{くち}」 has MANY meanings.

I do not know about bilingual dictionaries, but this usage of 「[口]{くち}」 is fairly common and it should be explained in every monolingual dictionary.

See definition 一-4 here:

4 [物事]{ものごと}を[分類]{ぶんるい}したときの、[同]{おな}じ[種類]{しゅるい}に[入]{はい}るものの一つ。また、その[種類]{しゅるい}。たぐい。「彼は相当いける口だ」「甘口」

That means a "(special) group of people or things that someone/something belongs to, or that person or thing him/itself".

In this context, 「口」 refers to the group of people who experienced repatriation from Siberia (after the war), or any individual within that group.

(In case you do not understand the example sentence for that definition in the link, 「[彼]{かれ}は[相当]{そうとう}いける[口]{くち}だ」 means "He is the kind to drink a lot." 「いける」 means "to be able to drink much" in colloquial Japanese.)

share|improve this answer

Interesting; I had only noticed 口 being used, indeed, in those kinds of sample sentences and had assumed it was actually referring to the mouth of the one being referred to, similar to how one can have "a sweet tooth" in English. – Dolda2000 Jan 29 at 15:21

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.