Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Are there any differences between using おしまい {oshimai} and おわり {owari} to mean "the end" (both with neutral and negative connotations)? Are they always interchangeable?

E.g:

テスト失敗したらおわりだぜ。

テスト失敗したらおしまいだぜ。

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I don't think there's really much difference in meaning or connotation, although おしまい sounds more formal to me, probably because it has the honorific お attached. OTOH, I've never seen お仕舞い at the end of a movie, so maybe there are differences in customary usage. {EDIT: The following is inaccurate: 終わる is also used transitively} One difference is that you can "おしまいにする" something, whereas you can't "おわりにする" things, because of the transitive/intransitive pairing 終える/終わる.(END EDIT, see comments)

In your example sentences (incidentally, you need to stick a "に" in them), I don't think there's a dime's worth of difference between the two. They both mean "I'm done for, it's all over, the jig is up, put a fork in me, Goodnight Irene."

share|improve this answer

From the kanji used in お仕舞い, I thought the word has some root in Noh theater so maybe it was (or is probably still) used to at the end of a play. Am I right? –  Lukman Sep 9 '11 at 4:03

It appears to have associations with noh, but with a different meaning: ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BB%95%E8%88%9E - Whether お仕舞い was used as a curtain-closer, I don't know. That sounds like a question for @Matt 's erudite consideration. –  rdb Sep 9 '11 at 4:14

I do not find anything wrong with the expression 終わりにする. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 9 '11 at 12:35
In fact, 終わる is used also in the form of ~を終わる. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 9 '11 at 12:41

@Tsuyoshi Ito - Just checked this, and you are correct. I should have checked myself beforehand: 大辞線 gives 終える as a synonym.(恥) Thanks for the info; I'll edit the post for accuracy. This seems very odd, though. Are there other transitive/intransitive pairs that you can think of where this occurs? –  rdb Sep 9 '11 at 16:52

On the one hand, I think that おしまい is mostly used to close an event or a ceremony, something that has been willingly started. So your second sentence sounds weird to me.

On the other hand, I think that おわり is not something you control. Your sentence says it's over, not that you stopped it.

share|improve this answer
But I've heard もうおしまいだ being uttered by characters in many anime and dramas I've watched .. –  Lukman Sep 9 '11 at 4:06

@Lukman: in what respect does it contradict what I wrote? –  Axioplase Sep 12 '11 at 8:16

"... something that has been willingly started. So your second sentence sounds weird to me." But I've heard もうおしまいだ being uttered by characters in many anime and dramas I've watched .. –  Lukman Sep 12 '11 at 8:37

@Lukman: I reiterate. (1) Your example is not もうおしまいだ, and (2), what I believe that your characters could say in the context of someone wanting to apply for a banquet, to say that the application period has now finished; in this case, there is still no contradiction. I never said that "おしまい" couldn't be heard in mangas or real life (since after all, it's a real word), I said that your example sounded weird to me. –  Axioplase Sep 12 '11 at 10:03

I believe all the characters that I heard saying おしまいだ (with もう or not is irrelevant) meant to say "it's over for me" not with reference to banquet, applications or what not. p/s: just in case you think I'm the one who downvoted this answer, please look at my profile to see that I still maintain my 0-downvote record ;) –  Lukman Sep 12 '11 at 11:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.