Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen many texts where verbs ends in く and this remind me the transformation from i-adj to adverbs where we simply change い --> く

This is the sentence I'm struggling with: ミトがいらないなら買う必要なくね?

I understand the general meaning. I would translate it as: "If you (Mito) don't need it, it is not necessary to buy it right?". But the way I would write this in Japanese would be:

ミトがいらないなら買う必要ないでしょう?

Why ない is converted to なく? I've seen this in many other sentences.

Thank you!

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

This is actually a masculine-ish way to say 'there's no need, is there?'

It's the product of two phenomena:

First, it's common to ask questions you expect a 'yes' answer to with some sort of negation marker (different negator choices create different connotations); when you expect a 'no' answer, you do the same thing to a negative verb. Thus:

Expected answer: 必要ない

↳ Question expecting answer: 必要なくない?

This sort of negating-a-negative strategy specifically has a sense of not quite being sure the answer you expect is true, or at least seeking confirmation that it is in fact true. (This specific strategy doesn't seem to be valid for verbs and adjectives that aren't already negative; you would use like 必要あるじゃない? or maybe 必要あるだろう? to get the same effect.)

Second, it's a feature of colloquial masculine speech to turn /ai/ sequences into /ee/ (though mostly outside of word roots; もんだいねえ is normal but もんでえねえ is extremely unusual). This one's been truncated due to being at the end of a sentence; that happens in written colloquial speech a lot (cf でしょ?).

share|improve this answer

It's colloquialism of 買う必要なくない?, which is double negation ("Isn't it needless to buy?"). The former ない has conjugated to the adverbial form なく to modify the latter ない.

What you're seeing in these sentences is most likely omission. The full sentence would be:

ミトが要らないなら買う必要なくなる

Click here for a more detailed explanation of this form

EDIT:

なくない didn't come into mind when I was answering, but thinking about it now I believe it's more likely than なくなる(although I have seen such omissions before).

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.