Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The following sentence is from a book. The context is the main characters just finished fighting some monsters. One character looks distracted, and when one of the others asks her if there's something wrong, she says:

いえね、さっきの化け物が単独。もしくは、ハグレなら問題はないのだけれど。

Since there is no kanji with ハグレ, I'm having problems trying to figure out what they're talking about. Does anyone have an idea based on context? I guessed maybe the word 逸れる, but I'm not sure it makes sense here. Thanks.

share|improve this question

I believe you are correct. – Tomm Jan 15 at 21:39

Yes that ハグレ is from the verb はぐれる and means "lone wanderer", "stray one", etc.

はぐれ as a noun is definitely rare and is almost never used in daily conversations. But J-RPG fans are somewhat familiar with this word because はぐれメタル (Liquid Metal Slime in English) is one of the most popular monsters in the Dragon Quest franchise. Actually I feel her use of ハグレ is a reference to this monster.

Aside from this, the only word I know which contains はぐれ is the title of this TV drama.

share|improve this answer

It's a bit unclear from this answer whether only はぐれ as a noun is rare or the verb はぐれる too. – macraf Jan 16 at 0:05

@macraf You're right. I edited the answer. – naruto Jan 16 at 1:03

I'd like to mention that the old English translations also call the monster Metal Babble or Metabble (generally in the games where the bubble slime バブルスライム is called Babble). – Nothing at all Jan 16 at 1:12

Summon Night games use it as はぐれ召喚獣, so it seems はぐれ is simply the quality of being a stray monster (as opposed to having an owner or boss). But I will not pretend to know anything about Japanese. – HalfKiloByte Jan 16 at 3:14

I've been under the impression that はぐれ usually suggests whoever is nonconformist and maverick. Also I remember that はぐれ銃鍛冶 in Cave Story is translated as "Hermit Gunsmith". – broccoli forest Jan 16 at 9:02

Possibly would be from the はぐれる(strayed-verb) made into a noun (stray - noun). Like 群れから逸れる strayed from the pack.

So your sentence would be "yes, well, if that monster was just by itself. Or, if it was a stray, there wouldn't be any problem, but..."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.