Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How to say "workaround/quick-and-dirty hack" in Japanese in the context of computer programming?

ALC says 次善策 for "workaround" but of course it does not convey the sense of dirtiness/fragility/speed I am looking for.

Context: quick email about a software feature, to my superior, with whom I am on very friendly terms but still use -ます form for instance.

share|improve this question

In what context? A formal communication? A follow-up to a bug report? A code comment? –  Karl Knechtel Sep 7 '11 at 2:49

Sorry good remark, I will add details. –  Nicolas Raoul Sep 7 '11 at 2:55
I don't have the confidence to add this as a proper answer, but perhaps one of the compounds of 応急 fits here? 応急策 ( band-aid solution , quick fix ), for instance... –  Hyperworm Sep 7 '11 at 3:26
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I use the jargon word (ダーティ)ハック! Simple and direct.

You could also say something like 適当な解決方法、適当なやり方

share|improve this answer
add comment

Besides Hyperworm and rdb's answers,

その場しのぎ

add comment

May be 裏ワザ can be use for some cases.

I see this especially in writings aimed at non-experts. Many books about hacks or tricks for OSes have 裏技 in their title. –  syockit Sep 7 '11 at 10:59
It sounds very systematic, unlike a hack which is ad hoc… –  Axioplase Sep 7 '11 at 13:53

It seems to already have been taken: ejje.weblio.jp/content/exception+operation –  rdb Sep 7 '11 at 18:54
add comment

I don't know if it's used specifically in programming, but やっつけ仕事 might give the sense you want. I wouldn't use it a formal context. There's always the all-purpose 臨機応変のX, which you probably could use formally.

I think that やっつけ仕事 is more focused on sloppiness than what “quick-and-dirty hack” suggests, but I am not completely sure about the nuance of “quick-and-dirty hack.” –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 8 '11 at 17:15

You're probably right, but since I'm not a programmer myself, I'm not really sure either. The meaning of "quick-and-dirty" by itself is pretty loose, I think, but definitely implies a lack of refinement. At the time I posted, the OP had not yet clarified the intended context, so I figured I'd throw out a couple of suggestions at opposing levels of formality. –  rdb Sep 8 '11 at 18:23

I am afraid that my comment was not clear. What I meant is that やっつけ仕事 is sloppy, not that the word やっつけ仕事 is informal. If you use a “quick-and-dirty hack” as part of your project at work, I guess that it is ok depending on the context, but if you do やっつけ仕事, it is not good. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 8 '11 at 18:26

Sorry, I wasn't clear either. What I meant to say was, depending on the formality of the situation, I would use different words. i.e., if I were talking to a colleague or friend, I might say, "I just threw something together, but it works for now." But to a supervisor I would probably say "I managed to find an interim solution." –  rdb Sep 8 '11 at 18:39

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I am still not sure about the comparison of applicability of “quick-and-dirty hack” and “やっつけ仕事,” but I guess that to really explain it, we need a software engineer who is fluent in both English and Japanese. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 8 '11 at 18:55
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.