Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Having picked up about 2,000+ characters from Chinese, one of the fastest ways for me to acquire a feel for Japanese grammar and word order, as well as some useful kanji readings, has been to study classical Chinese texts in kanbun. Yet I constantly struggle with the resources available to me. I know that there have been some multi-volume collections of kanbun which ought to be in the public domain, like the 漢文叢書. But I can't seem to find a good online resource. Ideally, I'd like to be able to pick any classical Chinese text and study a kanbun reading of said text.

share|improve this question
Uh, kanbun readings will not help you pick up modern Japanese. And even in terms of classical Japanese you will learn only one form... –  Zhen Lin Sep 5 '11 at 15:22
add comment

1 Answer

There are many public domain books available online at the Diet library, including a bunch of kanbun: http://kindai.ndl.go.jp/index.html

Your chances of finding a free online resource will generally be lower as the work you're interested in gets more obscure. (Conversely, if you're going to be reading Confucius or something I think you'd be much better off just spending 500 yen for a paperback edition -- 岩波文庫 or 講談社学術文庫 or whatever.)

As Zhen Lin says, though, kanbun is not really a good way to get a good sense for Japanese grammar and word order, or vocabulary... The minimal reordering into SOV (compared to SVO) and so on is present, it's true, but in general kanbun has a very idiosyncratic style that differs in many respects from standard modern Japanese. (Edit: But, let me state for the record so as not to sound negative, I think that reading this kind of work can be very rewarding, and it can certainly help with understanding "pure Japanese" works that are nevertheless strongly influenced by kanbun -- which covers a lot of territory up through, say, WWII).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.