Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

From early on, I've used こら and ほら somewhat interchangeably. They both mean "hey!"

I picked them up from friends early on without without really having a sense of the difference.

Now, after some time, I've come to understand that ほら is simply "hey!", as in just getting someone's attention, and こら is "hey" with a flavour of "dude, what the hell?" mixed in.

The thing is, I still tend to slip and use こら when maybe I should say ほら, and vice versa. Old habits die hard.

My question is, when I mix up and say こら instead of ほら, how bad is it?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 12 down vote accepted

こら is uttered usually when the speaker is scolding or blaming someone. ほら is used to draw someone’s attention to something. They are not interchangeable.

I do not know how bad it is to mix them up, especially if other people know that you speak Japanese as a foreign language, but using こら in an inappropriate situation can be rude and may give the impression that you consider that you are superior to the addressee.

share|improve this answer
You also can't roll your Rs with ほら: ほるるるるらーっ! Nope, doesn't sound right. –  Derek Schaab Sep 7 '11 at 14:00

What about when you are drawing someone's attention to the following scolding your about to give them? –  taylor Aug 14 '12 at 6:41

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.