Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_differences_in_spoken_Japanese claims that kisama is "more refined than temee".

However I've always thought that kisama is so-called the "worst" level (in other words a level lower than temee) so what exactly does the article mean when it says that kisama is more refined than temee?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 14 down vote accepted

Refinement is a reflection of the speaker, not the listener. While an opposing baron would use 「貴様」, a thug would use 「手前」.

share|improve this answer

ic. i think you have put it nicely, thx =D –  Pacerier Aug 29 '11 at 10:37

If nothing else, /teme:/ is Tokyo (shitamachi) dialect, while /kisama/ is standard Japanese. Refinement doesn't necessarily correlate with politeness; "ignorant oaf" might be considered more refined than "top bloke."

I've also seen 貴様 used between brothers. 手前 is a word one most likely wouldn't use toward a brother.

You mean "貴様" is used jokingly ? –  Pacerier Feb 25 '12 at 21:07

@Pacerier That's right. :) –  summea Feb 25 '12 at 22:20

Kisama is so often used in anime,it hardly seems vulgar!It seems like a crude way of saying 'you',the same way hokkiens and taiwanese use limpei to describe 'i'.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.