Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A book about architecture I'm trying to read (it's a bit of a slog what with the technical jargon and such) contained this description of a temple building: 二重、初重5X4間、裳階 (もこし) つき、上重4X3間. So it's two stories, the first being five rooms by four, with lean-to rooms attached, etc. I have a few questions about this. First, how is the "X" in 5X4 read? Additionally, I'm assuming that 初重 and 上重 are read しょじゅう and じょうじゅう, respectively. Is this correct?

share|improve this question
In fact that symbol is not X but × on computers. It is the symbol for multiplication. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 30 '11 at 21:06
My computer is special. (笑) –  rdb Aug 30 '11 at 23:22
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

The English "by" is read 「かける multiply」 in Japanese. A 3x4 matrix, for example, is 「3かける4行列」 in Japanese. I assume your readings are right in the second part of your question, but can't seem to find them anywhere.

share|improve this answer

Occasionally you may see the contracted 「かけ」 also. –  Trevor Alexander Dec 30 '13 at 3:14
add comment

I think you are making a big miskate. As for 5X4間, you interpret it as 'five rooms by four', but it is not clear what that means, and probably that is wrong. is a traditional unit for length. It is approx the long length of a tatami (about 1.8m). 5X4間 means a 5間 by 4間 rectangle.

share|improve this answer

Thank you, sawa. That makes a good deal more sense in the context of historical architecture. For anyone else who's interested,in this case, according to the Wikipedia entry (which I should have thought to look up beforehand), 間 is read as けん. –  rdb Aug 28 '11 at 20:34
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.