Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen this many times in mangas, here's one example:

アンタなんかが手にしていいお金じゃない*っつーの*!!!

Context: A girl catches a thief that stole today's takings at the shop she's working at.

Thank you! 手伝ってくれてありがとう。

share|improve this question
What is the question? –  sawa Aug 27 '11 at 18:51

What is the usage of 「つー」, what does it mean and what other ways are there to express the same thing ? –  Aki Aug 27 '11 at 18:56
Please include the question in the question, not in a comment. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 27 '11 at 19:22
It's done, sorry. –  Aki Aug 27 '11 at 19:32
Possibly related: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1252/what-does-mean –  Lukman Sep 19 '11 at 4:27
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 7 down vote accepted

It's a shortening of って言うの! or って言っているの! and shows some irritation on the part of the speaker. "What I'm telling you is . . .!" There's some good explanations here: http://oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/1847367.html

share|improve this answer
Interesting link, it was once a dialect and is now used nation wide. However I didn't understand well the last part of the first answer "「・・・っつーの」を日常的に用いている地方もありますので,そのような言い方は大変失礼にあたります。" Does it mean that 「。。。っつーの」 is extremely impolite or rude ? It looks colloquial but certainly not that rude, right ? –  Aki Aug 27 '11 at 19:40
Hmmm . . . That last is a little unclear to me, too, but what I think it's saying is this: Since っつーの is used routinely in some regions, it strikes him/her as over the top for the other commenters to say that it's rough language. –  rdb Aug 27 '11 at 20:03
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.