Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Despite its being one of the most basic element of daily-life Japanese, I often find myself looking for a proper way to end certain phone conversations.

Of course, I know the standard: [それでは]失礼します, or: よろしく[お願いします]...

But somehow, neither of these seems quite right when ending a (somewhat formal) conversation where I am the customer (e.g. making a restaurant reservation). I often opt for a basic ありがとうございました, but I don't think it is a very idiomatic way to end such phone conversations.

What would be a good phrase, beside the ones above, to end a phone conversation with a stranger?

Update: So from Tsyoshi's comments, it sounds like 失礼します is just the way to end all phone conversations, service people included. But Dave MG's はい、どうも provides a nice alternative (and he's the only answer), so I'll accept it.

share|improve this question
“失礼します” (not しましす) and “よろしくお願いします” both sound appropriate as a way to close a phone conversation as a customer. “ありがとうございました” sounds a little strange. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 27 '11 at 16:45

@Tsuyoshi: I know it's technically correct, it just that it makes me feel like I am the "intruding one" (asking a favour etc.) when it feels like this type of call should be more neutral. Anyway, just wondering if there are any other ways to close a phone conversation... (btw: typo fixed, thanks!) –  Dave Aug 27 '11 at 16:56

失礼します seems to mean something like "I have been disrespectful"...? o_O –  Karl Knechtel Aug 27 '11 at 21:22

@Karl: Its original meaning may be something like that, but it does not mean that. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 28 '11 at 0:24

@Dave: I am not talking about technical correctness. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 28 '11 at 0:27

2 Answers 2

up vote 10 down vote accepted

For my money, 「はい、どうも」 just can't be beat.

What's that? Too informal, you say?

Far from it, my good man. 「はい、どうも」 isn't a replacement for よろしく or 宜しくお願いします when you're winding down the conversation.

But there's always that awkwardness that sets in - happens in English, too - when you and the person on the other end are saying conversation-ending-phrases and no one knows who is going to be the person who actually hangs up. I find I get into the goodbye-vortex even more with customer service people because... well, I don't know why for sure but I suspect they think it's rude to hang up on me.

That's where 「はい、どうも」 comes in. You've been polite all conversation, you've thrown in a few 「失礼します」 where appropriate, and now it's time to just get off the phone.

You throw out a 「はい、どうも」, and then BAM, you slam down the receiver (even though it's a smart phone and you already pressed the button on the screen - we're doing this old school, baby!), then you raise your hands in flawless victory.

はい、どうも!!

share|improve this answer

Well, it made me laugh, anyway... –  Karl Knechtel Aug 27 '11 at 21:25
+1 on the awkwardness of trying to end a conversation and who's gonna be the one to hang up. –  Dave Aug 28 '11 at 2:59

According to Tsuyoshi Ito in the comments,

“失礼します” (not しましす) and “よろしくお願いします” both sound appropriate as a way to close a phone conversation as a customer. “ありがとうございました” sounds a little strange.

share|improve this answer

Question was asked in 2011. Hopefully in the intervening 3 years Dave has figured it out. –  paul Jun 17 at 14:11

@paul Hopefully. It's good to have alternate answers as answers rather than comments anyway, so that they can be both upvoted and downvoted. –  senshin Jun 17 at 21:29

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.