Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was about to ask a question but I can't without first confirming,

Is this sentence:

彼は映画スターであり、政治家もだ。

grammatically correct, and mean:

He is a movie star and also a politician.

==
Follow-up question here: Why does replacing だ to である changes the meaning of a the sentence?

share|improve this question
The correct formation is 〜でもある, not 〜もだ (which means something else). –  Zhen Lin Aug 27 '11 at 7:10

is it true that the sentence in the title although grammatical, means something like "he is a star, (that) politician is also a star" ? –  Pacerier Aug 27 '11 at 7:28

"He's a movie star as well as a politician." –  rdb Aug 27 '11 at 8:03

I think it's ok "彼は映画スターとともに、政治家もである。" –  ZarNge Aug 27 '11 at 8:26

@rdb wait do you mean that 彼は映画スターであり、政治家もだ correctly means "He is a movie star and also a politician." ? (thus contradicting Zhen Lin) –  Pacerier Aug 27 '11 at 9:08

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Recall that is the contracted form of である. has to be attached to a noun. You can't leave it behind as もである. So the correct way of inserting will be:

彼は政治家でもある

You might be wondering whether before can be omitted. Only arguments can have the (case) particle omitted before or . In this case, the noun 政治家 is a predicate, so you cannot omit before .

share|improve this answer

ok just to confirm, you are saying 彼は映画スターであり、政治家もだ。 is grammatically wrong because a もだ can never be together. and so (regardless of context,) 僕もだ。is also grammatically wrong because a もだ can never be togerther? –  Pacerier Aug 28 '11 at 22:28

With 僕もだ, is an argument, so there is an omitted case particle before , and the predicate after 僕も is omitted. –  sawa Aug 29 '11 at 2:48

Hi, to be clear, when you say "the predicate after 僕も is omitted", are you referring to だ ? –  Pacerier Sep 14 '11 at 9:39

@Pacerier No. 映画スター is omitted from 彼は映画スターであり、僕も映画スターだ. –  sawa Sep 14 '11 at 12:05

ic =D, Just a quick question: is である both a 連体形 and a 終止形 of the copula だ ? –  Pacerier Sep 14 '11 at 18:52

Sounds odd. How about: かれは俳優で、また政治家でもある

Yeah, I don't like the word 映画スター too much.

I can't comment in the comment section since I just joined, but the usual way of saying this would probably be 「映画スターだけではなく or だけじゃなくて、政治家もしている」. People often use 「する」 to talk about jobs. Also, 「であり」 is formal written style and would sound strange in conversation.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.