Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

WWWJDIC lists いちにん and ににん as alternative readings of 一人 {ひとり} and 二人 {ふたり}, but I can't recall anywhere I heard those readings except when counting more than 10 people for example 三十一人 {さんじゅういちにん}. Is that the only situation where 一人 and 二人 are read as いちにん and ににん, or are there any other situations?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Other than your example 三十一人, I can think of 一人前, 二人前, 二人三脚, 二人羽織. But by itself, I don't think they are read as 'いちにん' or 'ににん'.

share|improve this answer
add comment

The only thing I can think of is 一人称【いちにんしょう】 and 二人称【ににんしょう】 meaning "first person" and "second person" respectively. This means "person" as in "point-of-view" or parts of speech ("third person" is 三人称【さんにんしょう】).

share|improve this answer

I think that, in those cases, it is not 一人 + but is + 人称. –  sawa Aug 25 '11 at 3:07

一人前【いちにんまえ】二人前【ににんまえ】? Right, probably +人前 –  syockit Aug 25 '11 at 16:26

@syocit There is no such word as 人前. –  sawa Aug 26 '11 at 1:15
@sawa Actually 人前 is there in WWWJDIC. Moreover it has two readings with different meanings: にんまえ = food portion, ひとまえ = the public, company .. –  Lukman Aug 26 '11 at 2:02
@Lukman I see. But I don't think WWWJDIC is right. And you're right, it can be read as 'ひとまえ', which is a different word. –  sawa Aug 26 '11 at 3:55
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.