Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Anybody knows what this symbol means ?

enter image description hereenter image description here

the picture is taken from the cloth of a bed

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by sawa, Amanda S Aug 25 '11 at 23:58

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Do you have a picture of it? The drawing is extremely unclear. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 24 '11 at 20:21

@Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams I've added the actual picture –  Omu Aug 24 '11 at 20:34
Yes it looks like a Chinese seal script, although it's an interesting topic on it's own, it's somewhat off-topic for JLU I'm afraid (unless this has some usage in the Japanese language, or related to Japanese language usage). –  Ken Li Aug 24 '11 at 20:46
Where did you find it? –  Alenanno Aug 24 '11 at 21:07
I'm with @sawa on this: horizontal mirroring (due to a snag during the printing process) is extremely common in orientalist pieces of clothing/rugs/pillows (which this thing seems to be) when using Japanese/Chinese characters... –  Dave Aug 25 '11 at 0:17

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.