Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I feel like I hear だべ all the time (through TV and on the streets of Yokohama where I live), but I'm wondering about it's origins and modern usage.

share|improve this question
The title and your question seem to be slightly different. –  sawa Aug 24 '11 at 21:21

ah but they are intrinsically linked. What it meant in one time and location and what it means in modern times and locations is all related to dialect, I feel. –  Claytonian Aug 24 '11 at 22:38

I can tell you that the origin is classical Japanese べし (or some common predecessor), but I'd be interested to read a history showing how we got from there to modern べ (which is why I got the easy part out of the way in a comment). –  Matt Aug 25 '11 at 4:46
add comment

2 Answers

It's Tohoku dialect.

Basically, だべ is だろう, 行ぐべ is 行こう. There are a lot of variations though, as you can say for example だすっぺ for でしょう.

I doubt though that your hear that a lot on TV, except during interviews of people who suffers from the tsunami or nuclear accident. And it would be subtitled anyway…

Edit: Ok, so it seems that だべ is in fact an "coastal" ending. This is why your heard it in Yokohama, while in didn't where I lived. It's used all along the Pacific coast, and is thus not restricted to Tôhoku. I do not know, though, if they use べ without だ as in the examples I gave.

share|improve this answer
To be precise, it's Tōhoku and Kantō dialect (they even call our accent/us "Kantō-bei"! classic West/East divide thing), but it has definitely suffered a blow in the Tokyo region due to the influence of 標準語 and people from other prefectures. Still a thing in the surrounding areas though, like Saitama etc. –  Matt Aug 25 '11 at 4:41

I have lived in Kanagawa-ken too, and never heard it there… Nor in Tôkyô, even from Tôhoku people… How old are Kantô people talking with this particle? –  Axioplase Aug 25 '11 at 5:24

In (northern) Saitama, all ages. I confess I hear it a lot less in Kanagawa, and mostly (but not entirely) from older folks. I imagine that it's probably better preserved in Tohoku because of less outside influence. –  Matt Aug 25 '11 at 5:43

I think it's because Saitama borders Gunma, Tochigi (Ashinori-ben, not mainstream Tochigi-ben) and Ibaraki, where usage such dialect is more prominent (Gunma has だんべ). The southern part of Saitama is more similar to that of southern part of Kantō (Tokyo, Chiba, Kanagawa). –  syockit Aug 25 '11 at 5:59

It's Tohoku dialect.では (Touhoku「東北」)ですか??Northern most six prefectures of Honshuの方言ですか? –  ZarNge Aug 25 '11 at 7:44
show 2 more comments

I believe べ is the equivalent of the volitional in some, usually considered rural, northern dialects.

For instance, いぐべ = 行こう (with a systematic voicing thrown in for a good measure) of Miyagi-ben.

You can also see "Tohoku Dialects as a Speech of Rednecks: Language Crossing in Japanese TV Programs".

share|improve this answer

Nice article on crossing. –  Axioplase Oct 26 '11 at 17:02
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.