Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

JLPT 2 has this word 短~ (たん)

EDICT lists it as fault; defect; weak point; or minor (music), however there isn't any examples at all on the usage of the word.

Does anyone have some example usages (applications) of the word ?

share|improve this question

I found some occurrences, actually quite a few, but what meanings are you interested in? The ones you listed? –  Alenanno Aug 24 '11 at 10:13

軽薄短小 is cool 四字熟語. –  istrasci Aug 24 '11 at 14:17
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

There are two set phrases that come to mind:

• 短を補う (remedy one's defects -- the EDICT definition)
  • 短を捨て、長を取る (discard the bad, retain the good).

Using 短 in this way is extremely kanbun-y and, apart from set phrases like the above, as Dave M G says it would be unlikely to occur in regular speech.

In the musical sense of "minor", 短 is used as a prefix, like this:

• イ短調 = (key of) A minor
  • 変ロ短調 = (key of) B♭ minor
  • 嬰ハ短調 = (key of) C♯ minor
  • ニ短三和音 = D-minor triad (D, F, A)
  • 短六度 = Minor sixth (interval)

Note names and sharp/flat terminology are a whole different question (hint), but basically 短調 = "minor key", 短音階 = "minor scale", 短三和音 = "minor triad", etc. You can replace 短 with 長 to get the major version of any of these.

Using 短 in the context of music to mean "minor" is completely normal -- in fact it is the standard way to express the concept of "minor" found in classical Western harmony.

I note that you cite the word as "短~"; could it be that JLPT 2 is referring to the use of 短 as a prefix? (I ask because of the squiggly line after it which often indicates "insert something here" in Japanese language learning texts.) As Dave says, 短~ appears this way in 短所 "weak point, fault", 短気 "short-tempered" etc. with the meaning "insufficient, faulty" but it also very commonly carries the meaning of literal shortness: 短期 "short term", 短距離 "short distance", 短銃 "pistol (= short gun)", etc. You wouldn't learn this searching for 短 on its own, though, as AFAIK 短 as the standalone Sino-Japanese word たん only has the figurative meaning of "fault" discussed above, and not the literal meaning of "shortness".

share|improve this answer

I do believe it's a prefix or something, i got the word from jlptstudy.com/N2/N2_vocab-list.html (no. 2893) –  Pacerier Aug 25 '11 at 0:16

kanbun-y → verse-like. But man, I don't know the adjective for verse, can we use it as adjective? –  syockit Aug 25 '11 at 6:58
add comment

That definition is very uncommon. A word like 短所【たんしょ】(weak point) uses it in that sense, but in the vast majority of cases, the kanji means "short" and changes words in a way that has that meaning in mind.

Take a look at this list of words beginning with to see how it's used.

share|improve this answer

cool, i guess this word is not meant to be studied alone then. –  Pacerier Aug 25 '11 at 6:44
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.