Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do we decide if 中 is ちゅう or じゅう ?

For example, in this sentence 10人中3人はビデオを持っている which pronunciation should we use?

What about this: そのピアニストの演奏中、彼らは一心に耳を傾けた。

share|improve this question

中 is read as ちゅう in both examples. I cannot explain why right now. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 22 '11 at 18:38

@Tsuyoshi thx for the confirmation =P –  Pacerier Aug 22 '11 at 21:54
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 11 down vote accepted
  • じゅう (or, rarely: ぢゅう) is used for expressions covering a length of time (resp. area) from start to finish, in its entirety. I.e. "through", "all of":

一年中【いちねんじゅう】all year

一日中【いちにちじゅう】all day

世界中【せかいじゅう】all over the world

• ちゅう is for pointing a particular time (resp. specific location) out of an interval (resp. general area). I.e. "out of", "during":

午前中【ごぜんちゅう】[at some point] during morning

会議中【かいぎちゅう】in a meeting [e.g. "he is in a meeting at the moment"]

Note that in some cases, both can be used and the only way to tell would be from context (e.g. an expression followed by に is more likely to be ちゅう) or in speech:

来月中【らいげつじゅう】all of next month

来月中【らいげつちゅう】[some time] next month

share|improve this answer

cool, btw just to confirm, is the 中 in the 2 sentences (in the question) both ちゅう and not じゅう ? –  Pacerier Aug 22 '11 at 10:21

Hmn, I would have said じゅう, since there's an idea of continuity (they listened carefully throughout the whole thing, not just at a specific point in time), but Google seems to think otherwise. –  Dave Aug 22 '11 at 10:29

For some reason, verbal noun is always with ちゅう. The usages are (1) shows state: 会議中 = is in a meeting (2) as adverb, it means "throughout the course of 〜": 会議中眠っていた = Slept throughout the meeting (3) used with に, it points a moment. 会議中に… = sometime in the meeting,…. –  syockit Aug 26 '11 at 18:29
add comment

"out of" is 「ちゅう」, "through" is 「じゅう」.

中 ちゅう
(suf,abbr,n-suf) medium; average; middle; moderation; middle school; China; in; out of (e.g. three out of ten people); during (a certain time when one did or is doing something); (P)
中 じゅう
(suf) through; throughout; in the course of; all over or throughout (e.g. a place)

EDIT:

That second example is "during", so 「ちゅう」.

share|improve this answer

btw isn't it true that じゅう can also mean "in; out of (e.g. three out of ten people);" ? –  Pacerier Aug 22 '11 at 5:27
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.