Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Could someone explain why 猥シャツ is defined as "obscene shirt (pun)"? I don't understand how this is a pun.

猥シャツ 【わいシャツ】 (n) (See Yシャツ) obscene shirt (pun)

Source: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1MUEワイシャツ

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

The pun is that the kanji 「猥」, read 「わい」, means "obscene", whereas 「ワイシャツ」 means "dress shirt". The portmanteau 「猥シャツ」 therefore means "obscene shirt".

share|improve this answer

Is ワイ -> Y referring to the V formed by the neck and the | where the buttons are (you can tell I'm not in the shirt business)? –  Karl Knechtel Aug 21 '11 at 8:47

@Karl: I'm pretty sure it's just because of the English pronunciation of the letter "Y". –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 21 '11 at 9:16

I've never heard a dress shirt called a "Y shirt" in English. Is that a UK thing? –  Karl Knechtel Aug 21 '11 at 18:29
If 大辞林 is to be trusted, it actually comes from "white shirt", not "Y shirt". How it got from ホワイト to ワイ is not explained. Maybe by analogy with "T shirt"? –  rdb Aug 21 '11 at 19:22
@rdb If you are following that, then it should be clear that in English, the counterpart to ホワイト is rather pronounced like ワイ; is aspiration, and is often not pronounced in English prnounciation. –  sawa Aug 21 '11 at 23:55
show 7 more comments

Look up the word 猥褻. It will all become clear.

猥褻 = わいせつ = obscenity

share|improve this answer

I couldn't find 褻 in my usual reference, and trying it with Google gives primarily Chinese rather than Japanese results. –  Karl Knechtel Aug 21 '11 at 8:45

I think the word is normally written in hiragana. You can limit Google searches by language. If you limit your search to Japanese, this page should be among the first hits: ja.wikipedia.org/wikiわいせつ Alternatively: dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/je2/81626/m0u猥褻/ –  rdb Aug 21 '11 at 19:11
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.