The following sentence is from a newspaper article メレンゲ菓子は数あれど、これほど繊細なものは珍しい。

1. あれど = あるけど makes sense to me in the context, and this seems to be supported by my searches so far - is it simply a written form?
  2. The full phrase "は数あれど" appears extremely common on google - is 数 here read しばしば, and is this a set phrase?
  • は数あれど is not a phrase.
    – user458
    Aug 17, 2011 at 18:16
  • @sawa: I may be wrong, but I think it's a phrase, while it is indeed not a sentence.
    – Axioplase
    Aug 18, 2011 at 5:13
  • @Axioplase It is not. It is not even a constituent. メレンゲ菓子は or メレンゲ菓子は数あれど are each a phrase.
    – user458
    Aug 18, 2011 at 5:15

1 Answer 1

1. Yes, basically. It's a literary construction (and indeed the origin of けど); basically you take the conditional stem (仮定形) of a verb (or other conjugable) and instead of attaching 〜ば you attach a 〜ど: so あれど、言えど、思えど、よけれど etc.

Note for pedants: Technically, it's the perfective stem (已然形) we attach a 〜ど to.

2. 数 is pronounced かず here. The collocation 数ある means ‘many’. The first half of your sentence may be translated as follows: ‘Although there are many meringues, ...’

Also note that we use "number" in a similar way in English: "There are a number of ways to serve a meringue, but the best way is..."
    – Matt
    Aug 18, 2011 at 0:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .