Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The following sentence is from a newspaper article メレンゲ菓子は数あれど、これほど繊細なものは珍しい。

1. あれど = あるけど makes sense to me in the context, and this seems to be supported by my searches so far - is it simply a written form?
  2. The full phrase "は数あれど" appears extremely common on google - is 数 here read しばしば, and is this a set phrase?
share|improve this question

は数あれど is not a phrase. –  user458 Aug 17 '11 at 18:16

@sawa: I may be wrong, but I think it's a phrase, while it is indeed not a sentence. –  Axioplase Aug 18 '11 at 5:13

@Axioplase It is not. It is not even a constituent. メレンゲ菓子は or メレンゲ菓子は数あれど are each a phrase. –  user458 Aug 18 '11 at 5:15

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted
  1. Yes, basically. It's a literary construction (and indeed the origin of けど); basically you take the conditional stem (仮定形) of a verb (or other conjugable) and instead of attaching 〜ば you attach a 〜ど: so あれど、言えど、思えど、よけれど etc.

Note for pedants: Technically, it's the perfective stem (已然形) we attach a 〜ど to.

2. 数 is pronounced かず here. The collocation 数ある means ‘many’. The first half of your sentence may be translated as follows: ‘Although there are many meringues, ...’

share|improve this answer
Also note that we use "number" in a similar way in English: "There are a number of ways to serve a meringue, but the best way is..." –  Matt Aug 18 '11 at 0:42

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.