Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I learnt:

• 食べるところ:about to eat.
  • 食べているところ:in the middle of eating.
  • 食べたところ:just ate.
  • 食べたばかり:just ate.

I would like to know if I can change ところ for とこ in spoken language.

and if there is any difference between 食べたところ and 食べたばかり. which one is more rude, or more polite; and if I can use both in any situation.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

~たところ and ~たばかり both mean "just did X". I was always taught that ~たところ means "I just did X and haven't done anything else, whereas ~たばかり means "I just did X (but could've been a little while ago)." The "scope" of the event can determine the recentness.

• 昼食を食べたところだ。 → I just ate lunch (right now).
  • (午後3:00) 昼食食べたばかりなんで、眠たい。 → (At 3:00pm) I just ate lunch (even though it was several hours ago), so now I'm sleepy.

• (隣の人に車を見せながら) 新しい車買ったところやで! → (Show his neighbor) I just bought this new car (as in just came home from the dealership)!

• (電車の改札口で) 森内さん、回数券多いね。新しい車買ったばかりじゃない? → (At the ticket gate for the train) Moriuchi, you sure do have a lot of commuter (train) tickets. Didn't you just buy a new car? (could have been several days or even a few weeks ago).
share|improve this answer
add comment

…したところ can be changed to …したとこ in informal speech.

…したところ and …したばかり are almost synonymous. I feel that …したばかり has a stronger emphasis on how recent the event took place, and I am not very sure. There is no difference in politeness.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.