Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As the equivalent of Enlgish "Oh really?" / "Yes really." as lone utterances I seem to hear both "本当" (hontō) and "本当に" (hontō-ni) in Japanese - is there a difference?

It seems that hontō is a noun and -ni changes it into an adverb but that this doesn't really matter for the purpose of such simple utterances. Am I thinking along the right lines?

share|improve this question

My favorite way of saying "What, really?" is 「本当に本当!?」 >^.^< –  silvermaple Jan 19 '12 at 21:59
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

本当, being an adj-な, asks if a situation is real. 本当に, being an adverb, asks if an action is real.

share|improve this answer
Could you give an example of what you mean by a situation and by an action, because I don't think there's a distinction as to whether you need に with your 本当 or not. –  Matti Virkkunen Jun 1 '11 at 9:17

Your friend points a camera at you and pushes the button, but no familiar "shutter" sound is emitted. 「写真を撮った。」「本当に?」「見て、写真が在る。」「本当だ!」 –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 1 '11 at 9:21
(1) I find no difference in meaning between “本当?” and “本当に?” when they are sentences by themselves. I would equally say “本当?” in your example instead of “本当に?” (2) This is an aside, but the word 本当 is not a na-adjective but a noun in the standard language. In other words, the form 本当な is nonstandard. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 1 '11 at 12:39
jisho.org claims that it is an adj-な, and I'm willing to believe it. Perhaps it is not often used as one though. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 1 '11 at 12:43
@Ignacio: My Japanese dictionary doesn't even mention「本当な」... –  Alenanno Jun 1 '11 at 13:31
show 3 more comments

There is no difference in utterances for both words, if you speak those alone.

But if you add some words after that, you might need to use "本当に~" to get correct grammar.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.