Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider these two sentences:

(1) 母はついてくるようにアリスに合図した (Mother signaled to Alice to follow her)

(2) 父は手で私に部屋を出ていくように合図した。 (Father gestured to me to go out of the room)

And another sentence which I suspect has the same use of と as (2) but I cannot exactly say what it does:

(3) この本は子供を対象した本です。(Unnatural: This book is a book that is done in order for children to be targets) (Natural: This is a book for children)

Now I deconstruct the use of AをBとC in (3) to mean "Do verb C to achieve state B in direct object A"

(Question) How would I understand the use of in (2)? Since (1) does not require yet has a similar structure involving ように. But XようにY means "to do Y so that X can happen". What happens when is added to the mix as in (2)?

(Example sentences taken from WWWJDIC)

share|improve this question

Is this a question about 「と」+verb? –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 16 '11 at 6:15

@Ignacio yes, and also about the apparent lack of difference when と is not used in the comparison of (1) and (2). –  Flaw Aug 16 '11 at 6:25

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Francis Drohan's A handbook of Japanese usage has four whole pages on the usages of と, so I don't think a comprehensive answer is appropriate here. But a few key points:

• There are two kinds of と: one is a case particle (格助詞), and another is a conjunctive particle (接続助詞). In both your examples, と is being used as a case particle.

• According to Drohan, there are 7 main uses for the case particle と: Listing, accompaniment, target of comparison, result of change, adverbialisation, quotation, and simile.

• と in your example (2) is being used to denote quotation. ‘Father signalled to me with his hand, “get out of the room.”’

• と in your example (3) is being used to denote the result of change. (In fact, Drohan gives the following example: 学生を対象とする。 It is meant for students.) The construction 〜とする here has the connotation of a decision being made: the target audience was set to be students.

Drohan gives some other examples of this usage:

塵も積もれば山となる。 Many a little makes a mickle.

夜となく昼となく働く。 They work morning, noon and night.

• However, the collocation 〜とする also has other uses, e.g. 学生として ‘as a student’, なかったとしたら ‘supposing there were none’, etc.

share|improve this answer

You are assuming that (at least) 部屋を出てくように is a unit (constituent) because you are saying that it is a quotation (which part I do not agree), and that the following it is a case particle. Doesn't that mean that 部屋を出てくように is a noun? –  sawa Aug 16 '11 at 13:18

@sawa: Not my analysis. But Daijisen agrees with Drohan, see sense 2 under heading 1: 「(文や句をそのまま受けて)動作・作用・状態の内容を表す。引用の「と」。」 –  Zhen Lin Aug 16 '11 at 16:25

The in (1, 2) is the same as used in quoting. It leads a subordinate clause. Unlike predicates like 言う 'say', which can take direct or indirect quotation, predicates like 合図する 'signal' cannot take quotation. It expresses an accompanied message. Without , it is ambiguous. It may be a purposive clause or a clause expressing the accompanied message.

母はついてくるようにアリスに合図した
'Mother signaled Alice to follow her'
'Mother signaled Alice so that she will follow her'

With , it is unambiguously a clause expressing the accompanied message.

母はついてくるようにとアリスに合図した
'Mother signaled Alice to follow her'

The in (3) is completely different. Note that the in (3) is attached to a noun rather than a clause. In this sentence, the noun is the main predicate. When a noun is a predicate, it takes either or .

Nominal predicate

対象に/となる
対象である [Underlyingly にてある]
対象に/とする

share|improve this answer

As much as I like etymology, I wouldn't go so far as to say that で is underlyingly にて, especially here where it cannot be substituted without raising eyebrows. –  Zhen Lin Aug 16 '11 at 7:30

@Zhen As far as you assume that contraction from にて to で is obligatory, there is no wonder that it cannot be substituted. There are obligatory operations, and you do not deny them just because you cannot substitute the output with the input. –  sawa Aug 16 '11 at 13:12
My point is that にて still exists in its own right, as a literary substitute for locational uses of で. ‘Obligatory’ contraction sounds like a hack to me. –  Zhen Lin Aug 16 '11 at 16:22

@Zhen I see. That is a good point. –  sawa Aug 16 '11 at 17:03

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.