Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There are several adjectives that are formed by attaching 「手」 to more common adjectives:

• 手厳しい
  • 手堅い
  • 手早い
  • 手広い
  • 手短い

But most of the time this does not seem to change the meaning of the adjective very much.

• 厳しい severe; strict; rigid
    手厳しい severe; harsh
  • 堅い hard; solid
    手堅い steady; firm
  • 早い fast; quick
    手早い nimble; quick; agile
  • 広い spacious; vast
    手広い spacious; roomy
  • 短い short
    手短い short; brief

Can these adjectives be used interchangeably? What does the 手 prefix mean, and how does it change the meaning of the adjective?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

To expand on sawa's answer a bit (and sawa/anyone else, do correct me if I am wrong about any of this; it is mostly based on observation, not hard research)...

This 手 originally conveyed a nuance of "handling," "doing," "dealing with", etc. and only later started to take on a more general meaning. So, speaking generally, the plain adjective might have many meanings, including gross physical ones, but the 手- version tends to refer to behavior or at least some implied "use case."

• 堅い = hard, solid, rigid, tough, firm, stubborn (of objects and people, physical and metaphorical) vs 手堅い = sure, firm (of behavior/attitude)
  • ぬるい = lukewarm, tepid, sluggish (of things and people, physical and metaphorical) vs てぬるい = lenient, non-harsh (of behavior/attitude)
  • 狭い = narrow, restricted (of places/viewpoints/etc., physical and metaphorical) vs 手狭 = narrow (of places, when considered in the context of some [implied] behavior)
  • 短い = short (physical, metaphorical) vs 手短か = brief, concise (of a text, etc.)

Another example: in Nishiwaki Junzaburo's translation of Shakespeare's 18th sonnet, the "rough windes" that "shake the darling buds of Maie" are 手荒い: "手荒い風は五月の蕾をふるわし..." The winds are active, they have behavior. (There may be some anthropomorphizing going on here too.)

As a related observation to the above, note that there are no 手 words for adjectives conveying purely emotional states (e.g. no 手楽しい or 手悲しい) or characteristics that are observed rather than "received" as behavior (e.g. no 手美しい or 手明るい).

I don't claim that this is a hard-and-fast distinction, or even a completely reliable rule of thumb -- and as noted the prefix did slide towards a more general intensifying meaning -- but it might be helpful when considering how these adjectives differ from their unprefixed versions.

Some other observations:

• 手- is not "productive" in Modern Japanese. That is, you can use 手- words that are already in the language, but you can't attach 手 to any adjective you like (not without thereby coining a new word, anyway).
  • 手- does not combine with Sino-Japanese words or other loanwords. There is no 手丁寧な or 手ハードな.
share|improve this answer

This is a lot closer to my impression of the meaning of the 手 prefix. The more I looked at the 手-adjectives, the more they seemed to be specifically about behavior. This raises a couple questions, though: 1) I've seen both 厳しい and 手厳しい used to describe human behavior; how does one decide which to use? 2) 手広い and 手短い don't seem to describe behavior--are they just more intense versions of 広い and 短い, or can one exhibit 手広い or 手短い behavior? –  Amanda S Aug 16 '11 at 23:39

Yeah, I think that once you narrow the cases to the point where either seems permissible, you need either native intuition or a bunch of data to reach meaningful conclusions about which is right/best (and most likely those conclusions will add up to sawa's answer!). One thing I can address, though: 手短い and 手広い do differ from 短い and 広い, and in ways that certainly seem dependent on human behavior somehow. For example: 一日 or 紐 can only be 短い, not 手短い (or 手短か). 家 and 商売 can be 手広い, but 空, 海, 大自然 cannot. And so on... –  Matt Aug 17 '11 at 1:08
add comment

It is an intensifier that attaches to a gradable adjective/adjectival noun.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.