Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I can't find this in any dictionary, but it seems to mean something like picture. Is that right?

I don't have an example sentence, because that word was the whole sentence.

share|improve this question

What's wrong with this question? –  language hacker Aug 15 '11 at 15:43
Sentence or it didn't exist. (no I didn't downvote this - I've never downvoted even once in JLU) –  Lukman Aug 15 '11 at 15:49
Yes, you have a nasty habit of never putting example sentences. –  istrasci Aug 15 '11 at 16:03

Looking on Google, I don't think example sentences will help... example pages, maybe. It has less than 10,000 hits, so it might be very difficult to give an answer... –  Zhen Lin Aug 15 '11 at 17:51

"That word was the whole sentence"? Was it a blog post title, or a picture caption, or something? If that's the case, a link would help. It's often difficult to translate without context. –  Amanda S Aug 17 '11 at 6:32

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

I think it comes from 撮影【さつえい】 where つ becomes ちゅ for some reason (slang?). A bit like おやちゅみなさい.

Seems to me that さちゅえい refers to 撮影会 events. There are many types of 撮影会 but the main ones are for amateur photographers to meet, to take a picture with a character or model, to create publicity with an open photoshoot, or to recruit new models. They are discussed in more detail on Wikipedia.

share|improve this answer

I learned that it's pronounced that way by kids, because they can't pronounce certain letters. –  language hacker Aug 17 '11 at 6:11

@language you're correct on that one, but just to note that sometimes such "kiddish" spelling is made to entice newbies. –  syockit Aug 20 '11 at 3:44

Some (if not many) Chinese pronounce it that way. I had a few Chinese friends, and they could not pronounce very well, and it always came out as ちゅ. –  istrasci May 30 '12 at 14:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.