Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
~うございます - keigo い-adjectives

I still remember the introductory lecture of the first Japanese course I took in college, my sensei told the class that おはようございます does not mean "good morning" but it is actually derived from はやいです which simply means "it is early".

Some time later, I've been told that this honorific formation of i-adjectives is not restricted to はやい only, but can be applied to any i-adjectives. I've not been told how though.

I'm assuming that for any i-adjectives that end with X-ai, they become o-X-ou:

はやい → おはよう
たかい → おたこう

But what about adjectives that end with -ui, -ii etc? Turning them into -ou does not sound right. For example:

さむい → おさもう?
たのしい → おたのしょう?
おおきい → おおおこう?  [triple お]

What are the rules for turning i-adjectives into honorific form? And also, are this honorific still in use today and in what kind of scenarios?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by istrasci, Tsuyoshi Ito, Flaw, Amanda S Aug 11 '11 at 15:39

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

I asked this question in a previous post. –  istrasci Aug 11 '11 at 14:13

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

These forms are archaic in Tokyo except for a few fixed expressions like おやようございます, but may be observed in Kyoto. You attach -u ございます to the adjective root. The polite prefix is optional. As you wondered, it is probably unnatural to attach for おおきい because of so may consecutive s.

• [adjective root] + u gozaimasu
    さむうございます

Depending on the final vowel of the adjective root, there is a sound change.

• au → ou (→ oo)
    はようございます, たこうございます
  • iu → yuu
    たのしゅうございます, おおきゅうございます
share|improve this answer

Is the お prefix optional? What about おおい -> おおう? –  Lukman Aug 11 '11 at 13:53

@Lukman Attachhing to おおう is unnatural just like with おおきい. –  user458 Aug 11 '11 at 13:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.