Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is it true that all verbs have a corresponding noun form (which is formed by making the -masu form and removing the -masu)?

Like 遊び and 遊びます 飲み and 飲みます 生き and 生きます 死に and 死にます

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

For the most part, yes. There are a few outliers that don't though. Most 尊敬語 and 謙譲語 verbs don't form nouns with their 連用形. And some 連用形, such as 「なり」, are specialized almost to the point of uselessness.

share|improve this answer
It is incorrect to say that most 尊敬語 and 謙譲語 verbs do not have 連用形. They always have 連用形, but their 連用形 are rarely used as nouns. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 7 '11 at 18:46
Fair enough. I will correct that part then. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 7 '11 at 18:47

heys thanks for the answer =P btw i'd just realised the -masu form of 食べる without the ます (i.e. 食べ) is not a word? –  Pacerier Aug 8 '11 at 15:26
@Ignacio ok thx, btw just curious.. if 食べ is not the noun form of 食べる then what is the noun form of 食べる ? –  Pacerier Aug 8 '11 at 21:03
@hippietrail: Same as every other 連用形, e.g. 「食べ過ぎる」, etc. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Mar 11 at 1:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.