Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What does the phrase 乞うご期待 mean in English? Can you show some example sentences?

share|improve this question

What is wrong with this question? –  language hacker Aug 5 '11 at 22:01

I agree. I see nothing wrong with this question. –  istrasci Aug 6 '11 at 0:16
I think the problem is that the person asking the question should be providing example sentences, not the people answering. –  Questioner Aug 6 '11 at 0:48

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I was reading this chiebukuro, I think the gist of it is that movie theaters would give a preview of what they had coming to the screen, and a big 乞うご期待 would be written on the trailer. I guess this is like the Coming Soon in the U.S.

I can't translate it to English, but perhaps something along the lines of "for your anticipation."

To give the meaning, the same chiebukuro rewords it:

[どうぞ]期待してください。
Please look forward to this.

share|improve this answer

乞う means "to request", so it would be "the expectation/anticipation of what you asked for". –  istrasci Aug 6 '11 at 0:19

I see, but can't you look at it from the other way around if we switch who's doing the asking, "request your anticipation"? I know, it sounds weird to me too. –  Louis Aug 6 '11 at 0:34

It is a kanbun-influenced phrase (thus, not in standard Japanese word order) that means "We request 乞う your anticipation/looking-forward-to-ness ご期待". Sometimes you see it split into two sentences for ease of understanding: 乞う!ご期待! It is a similar pattern to "求む (something)" which means "we want (something)!" –  Matt Aug 6 '11 at 3:03

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.