In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe novel, the character Aslan orders centaurs and eagles to chase a wolf, saying, "He will be going to his mistress." He is referring to the wolf's female master, the White Witch, who considers herself to be the "Queen." The witch refers to a dwarf as her "slave," so she has a master/slave relationship with her followers. What is the correct Japanese word for a dominant female "master?"

I tried searching in online Japanese dictionaries for the word "mistress," but the results seem to be comprised of Japanese words for "mistress" as in an extra-marital lover, or "madam" as in a well-bred lady, rather than a woman who has slaves/servants. When I searched for the word "master," I could not find words that fit females.

1 Answer 1

The female equivalent of 主人 is [女主人]{おんなしゅじん}, and you would address your 女主人 as [奥様]{おくさま} or お[嬢様]{じょうさま}. (You wouldn't address her as [女主人様]{おんなしゅじんさま}.)

奥様 is normally for a married lady, お嬢様 is for a young/single lady.
    – chocolate
    May 27, 2015 at 9:18
    Just for clarification, OP may be wondering if it's possible to use something more specific, like 女主人様, to address a mistress, because お嬢様/奥様 is generic terms. And I don't think it's possible.
    – naruto
    May 28, 2015 at 6:03
  • Right, you wouldn't call your 女主人 as 女主人様.
    – chocolate
    May 28, 2015 at 6:59
    And, why the downvote (again, as usual?)
    – chocolate
    May 28, 2015 at 7:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .