Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm not familiar with either word, but just looking at the characters, 達人 would seem to indicate 'accomplished' (ie an accomplished pianist). While 名人 seems more like 'renowned'. Is that a valid assessment?

share|improve this question

師匠 【ししょう】 and 名匠 【めいしょう】 are a couple more good words for master/expert. –  istrasci Aug 4 '11 at 18:57

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Consider the following:

達 as a kanji has the meaning "accomplish", "(to) reach"

名 as a kanji has the meaning "name" or "reputation"

Kanji compounds:

達成 : "achievement"

名高い : "famous, celebrated"

威名 : "fame, prestige"

And in Chinese, 名人(míng rén) has no connotations of skill as far as I know, it simply means "famous person". 達人(dá rén) however means "expert" and does not imply fame.

I would say your assessment is a reasonable one.

share|improve this answer
Nice answer, but I really don't think you should be using Chinese meanings when discussing Japanese nuances (words like 愛人 come to mind)... –  Dave Aug 6 '11 at 2:40

I take Chinese as additional information to consider. I found comparing meanings to Chinese quite helpful in learning certain vocabulary. But one must be careful not to equate them, since there are sure to be differences as you mentioned. –  Flaw Aug 6 '11 at 2:46

Both 達人 and 名人 are usually associated with skills in Japanese.

達人 means a person who has mastered everything about something by long-time experience.

名人 usually means a person who has excellent skills. Daijisen also lists another meaning “評判の高い人” (person who is spoken well of), but I think that the usage without connotation with high skills is rare. Daijirin does not state the latter meaning.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.