Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Look at this conversation from Twitter. Do you know what dialect it is?

shohei110h: やっとdead stock手に入りました(´ω`)田舎にはなかなか無くて東京で購入しやしま
mao_sid: おれもど田舎だったから気持ちわかるなぁ。ありがとう。

The part I don't understand is しやしま at the end of the first sentence. What does that mean?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Szymon, ssb, Dono, Earthliŋ, snailplane Apr 15 '14 at 18:22

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – Szymon, ssb, Dono, Earthliŋ, snailplane
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

what makes you think it's a dialect and not a typo? – Axioplase Aug 4 '11 at 9:09

@Axioplase I can't think of what it would be a typo of... – rintaun Aug 4 '11 at 11:19
up vote 12 down vote accepted

My guess is that it's a typo of either しやした or しました.

At first glance, た looks pretty hard to mistype as ま, but on second thought, it's likely to happen on mobile phones. Considering that most Japanese mobile phones have keypads like:

it's quite easy to mistype た, ま and や, which are arranged next to each other.

しやした can be a loosely pronounced slang for しました, or the author may be writing in the Edo dialect, either genuinely or for a comical effect (しやした is often heard in Jidaigeki/samurai dramas).

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.