Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Look at this conversation from Twitter. Do you know what dialect it is?

shohei110h: やっとdead stock手に入りました(´ω`)田舎にはなかなか無くて東京で購入しやしま
mao_sid: おれもど田舎だったから気持ちわかるなぁ。ありがとう。

The part I don't understand is しやしま at the end of the first sentence. What does that mean?

share|improve this question
what makes you think it's a dialect and not a typo? –  Axioplase Aug 4 '11 at 9:09

@Axioplase I can't think of what it would be a typo of... –  rintaun Aug 4 '11 at 11:19
add comment

put on hold as off-topic by Szymon, ssb, Dono, Earthliŋ, snailboat 2 days ago

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – Szymon, ssb, Dono, Earthliŋ, snailboat
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 13 down vote accepted

My guess is that it's a typo of either しやした or しました.

At first glance, た looks pretty hard to mistype as ま, but on second thought, it's likely to happen on mobile phones. Considering that most Japanese mobile phones have keypads like:

it's quite easy to mistype た, ま and や, which are arranged next to each other.

しやした can be a loosely pronounced slang for しました, or the author may be writing in the Edo dialect, either genuinely or for a comical effect (しやした is often heard in Jidaigeki/samurai dramas).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.