Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am familiar with contraction of の to ん before です (and variants で, だ, でした etc) but I noticed that の is also contracted before 家 in spoken set-phrases like あたしんち and おれんち.

Are there any other instances where の is contracted before some particular nouns? I remember hearing おれんとこ in some anime/jdrama but I might have misheard.

Also, are there any dialects that utilize this kind of contraction more frequently than the other colloquial dialects?

share|improve this question

this sounds like a dialect more so than standard Japanese. I don't believe i've ever heard this before. –  Mark Hosang Aug 4 '11 at 3:21
@Mark Haven't you heard an anime with title あたしんち? tv-asahi.co.jp/atashi –  Lukman Aug 4 '11 at 3:33

Wow... apparently it is. You can ignore my first comment then. –  Mark Hosang Aug 4 '11 at 4:14
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Chakoshi to the rescue! (Chakoshi is a tool for searching both the Aozora and conversational Japanese corpora at Nagoya University.)

A quick search for a "[noun]ん[noun]" pattern in the conversational corpus gives 262 results, most of which are what you are asking about. Broken down, there's actually not much variety in the nouns that follow ん:

とき (99): 高校とき, 研修とき, 外出とき, …

とこ(ろ) (78): そことこ, こっちとこ, 今とこ, ほかとこ, …

中 (62): 頭中, 山中, 電車中, …

ち (11): おれち, おまえち, 人ち, …

This contraction is present in both masculine and feminine speech. I can't think of any other phrases offhand that use ん this way, but I can't say that means they're not out there. If you can think of some, please put in a comment.

As far as dialectical variation goes, the Chakoshi corpus covers a fairly wide range of speakers, but I would have to do a deeper analysis on the results to find out if there are any trends.

share|improve this answer
There's one instance of の->ん contraction before a personal pronoun that I can think of: あんにゃろ (あの野郎), こんにゃろ (この野郎). I don't know if it counts as a "pure" contraction from の to ん, because the "n" consonant of ん is seeping into the next sound "や".. –  ento Aug 4 '11 at 16:40

wow great tool! –  Pacerier Sep 21 '11 at 16:34
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.