Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example, when JAXA launches a rocket, or people count the seconds to the New Year, do they use し or よん to count 4? do they use しち or なな to count 7?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Usually when you count, you use よん for '4' and なな for '7'. That applies to when you count down.

じゅう きゅう はち なな ろく ご よん さん に いち

However, in some situations, pronouncing a certain sequence of numbers became so frequent end became a fixed expression. In that case, '4' and '7' may be pronounced and しち, respectively. That includes a situation of counting up:

いち に さん  ご ろく しち はち きゅう じゅう

share|improve this answer
I wonder why you changed the wording from "so frequent that ..." to "end" (I think you meant "and"). The former sounds much more natural to me. Anyway I rolled back my edit and I'll leave it to you to make any changes if necessary. –  Lukman Aug 1 '11 at 2:01

@Lukman Thanks. I prefer your previous edit. My edit was a typo. I meant to improve it grammatically. –  user458 Aug 1 '11 at 2:10
+1 Because I had never noticed before that 4 and 7 are commonly said differently depending on whether counting down or up. Now that I think of it, though, that seems to be true. –  Questioner Aug 1 '11 at 3:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.