Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There is a line in the 「この涙 星になれ」, which is a song of ZARD (Sakai Izumi):

父なる砂漠 コイン投げて 明日を占おう

I don't understand the meaning of 「父なる砂漠」. It's quite strange to think of it as the desert that has been a father...

坂井泉水の大ファンなんです。今歌詞を整理しているので、理解出来ないところを問題にして、援助をお願いします。

Thank you very much.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

As sawa suggested, 母なる大地 (which literally means “the earth which is a mother”) is a fixed phrase to refer to Mother Earth, a common personification of the earth. Just to clarify, 父なる砂漠 is not a common phrase, but it clearly builds on top of the phrase 母なる大地. The phrase may be an invention by the writer of the song.

Interpretation of song lyrics is a delicate art, and I will not try to do it here.

share|improve this answer

Thanks a lot Ito San. If I knew 「母なる大地」, I would have no problem understanding 「父なる砂漠」. In my language, there is “大地母亲”, which is very similar to 「母なる大地」, but なる made me confused. I thought it meant "became". –  ShinyaSakai Jul 31 '11 at 17:32

It does not say it has been a father. It says it is the father. Vast natural things like sea, earth, desert, universe, etc. are often metaphorically expressed as mother, father, the ancestors, or the homeland of human.

• 母なる大地
    'Earth, the mother of human'
  • 父なる砂漠
    'Desert, the father of human'
  • 生命のふるさと、海
    'The sea, the homeland of life'

I dont' think this is particular to Japanese. But suddenly sticking in this phrase in this piece of lyrics does not make much sense. I don't think the quality of the lyrics is that high.

share|improve this answer

Thank you very much for your help. In fact, before I gave out this question, I had searched 「父なる砂漠」 on google, and saw no other page containing it completely other than this piece of lyrics. So, I mention the lyrics just to explain the source of my question, not to ask for anyone else's appreciation for her lyrics. Although I think it is encouraging and marvellous. –  ShinyaSakai Jul 31 '11 at 3:32

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.